Coix seed, Yi Ren or Yi Yi Ren in Chinese, is one of the most important, common, and delicious food medicine in China to reduce dampness. It is very versatile in cooking. You can put it in soups, porridge, oatmeal, salad, and more. You can also make it into a tea! In biomedical nutrition, it is also believed to be a super food, providing complete protein for our body.
Scientific information: Coicis Semen
Common Name: Job's Tears Seed, Chinese Pearl Barley
Category: Drain Damp
TCM Flavor: Bland, Sweet
TCM temperature: Cooling
Meridian Affiliation: Stomach, Spleen, Lungs
- Stimulates urination to treat edema and urinary problems.
- Strengthens the Spleen.
- Clears heat.
- Dispels dampness, especially in our digestive system and muscles.
- It is also a complete protein source!
Dosage: Yi Ren is generally very safe as long as you do not over consume (ex. having this entire bag in one day.)
How to use:
- Average serving size: 30g dried.
- Rinse well before using. Ideally, soak for at least 1 hour. And then boil until it is soft, around 40 minutes.
- Add to soup, porridge, salads, etc. Use as if you are cooking beans.
- Preserve cooking water and drink as tea.