Common English Name: Bamboo pith, veiled lady, long net stinkhorn
Scientific Name: phallus indusiatus
Common Form: Dried mushroom, very light, off white
TCM Five Flavors: Sweet, slightly bitter
TCM Energetics: cooling
Nutrients: amino acids,potassium, calcium, zinc, polysaccharides
Function: helps with high blood pressure, anti-cancer, 90% water, 6% fiber
- replenishes Qi and nourishes yin
- moistens the Lung and relieves coughing
- cools heat
Rinse well before using, then soak for 15 minutes in room temperature water to rehydrate.
Add to broth.
Stuff asparagus or ground shrimp in the center and steam.
Notes and Safety:
- Generally, it is very safe!
- In ancient China, it was considered a delicacy and aphrodisiac due to its unique taste, shape, and rarity. China's Qing Dynasty, the species was collected in Yunnan Province and sent to the Imperial Palaces to satisfy the appetite of Empress Dowager Cixi, who particularly enjoyed meals containing edible fungi.
- An American diplomat wrote about bamboo fungus after his visit to China in the 1970s: "It has a fine and tender texture, fragrance and is attractive, beautiful in shape, fresh and crispy in taste."