Common English Name: tofu, yuba, bean curd, soy cake
Common Chinese Name (pinyin): 豆腐 (dòu fu）
TCM Five Flavors: Sweet
TCM Energetics: Cooling
Meridian Affinity: Spleen, stomach, large intestine
Nutritional Science: 成分
- Nutrients: Rich in protein, fat, carbohydrates, fiber, calcium, phosphorus, iron, thiamin vitamin B1, riboflavin vitamin B2, niacin.
- Function: Reduce blood lead concentration, protection of the liver, promotes metabolism, replenish energy.
TCM Benefits: 功效
- Clear fire and detoxify
- Promote hydration and moisten dryness
- Nourish the Middle and benefit Qi
- Treat coughing due to lung heat
- Alleviate thirst
- Relieve red eye
- Relieve bloating caused by weak digestion
Cooking Suggestions: 使用方法
- There are many different kinds of tofu. We recommend soft tofu for soup, salads, smoothie; we recommend firm tofu for searing, baking, substituting meat; we recommend yuba or tofu skin for wrapping and adding to soup.
- We recommend soft to medium frim tofu for yin-nourishing, hydrating, firm to extra firm tofu for protein and strengthening the Middle Jiao.
- We recommend Spleen Strengthening Vegan Tempeh Sushi | 健脾杂粮天贝素寿司
Generally, it is very safe if consumed in moderation. Choose non-GMO, organic tofu if possible. Individuals with gouts should be cautious when consuming tofu.
- Soft tofu has the lowest caloric value and the least protein, while extra firm tofu has the most.