Common Chinese Name (pinyin): 粟米 (sù mǐ）小米
TCM Five Flavors: Sweet, salty
TCM Energetics: Cool
Meridian Affinity: Kidney, spleen, stomach
Nutritional Science: 成分
- Nutrients: fat, protein, starch, thiamin (vitamin B1), iron
- Functions: supports healthy nerve signals and nervous system, cardiac function and health (Vitamin B1 assists in the formation of neurotransmitter acetylcholine which helps transfer the message between muscle and nerves), hair and skin health, slows the development of Alzheimer’s disease, combats muscle weakness (iron)
TCM Benefits: 功效
- Tonify the Middle Jiao: promotes digestion
- Benefit the Kidneys
- Clear heat and detoxify
- Relieve nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Moisturize the body, quench thirst
- Dispel wind, relieve skin rashes
Cooking Suggestions: 使用方法
- Make rice or congee.
Five Season TCM Recipe:
Notes & Safety:
- Should not be eaten with xing ren, might cause vomiting or diarrhea.
- There are many different types of millet. Here we are referring to the Chinese foxtail millet, which is a small, bright yellow grain.
- Purchase USDA organic foxtail millet here.