Common Chinese Name (pinyin): 玉米 (yu mi)
TCM Five Flavors: Sweet
TCM Energetics: Neutral
Meridian Affinity: Stomach, large intestine
Nutritional Science: 成分
- Nutrients: Around 60% starch, 4% fat. Contains vitamin K, thiamin vitamin B1, riboflavin vitamin B2, vitamin B6, niacin vitamin B3, pantothenic acid, biotin, carotenoids.
- Function: Diuretic, lipid-lowering, prevents vitamin K deficiency.
TCM Benefits: 功效
- Regulate the Middle Jiao and increase appetite
- Diuretic and reduce water retention
- Help with high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, and high blood sugar
Cooking Suggestions: 使用方法
- Cook in soup or add to dishes.
- Corn flour can be used for pastries, tortilla, tamale, and so on.
Five Seasons TCM Recipe:
Notes & Safety:
The corn we are referring to here is the Chinese/Mexican corn that is less sweet and more starchy than the American sweet corn. You can find this variety at Asian markets. They are usually vaccum packed.