Common Chinese Name: 南瓜 (Nan Gua)，番瓜 (Fan Gua)
Common English Name: Pumpkin
Scientific Name: Cucurbita pepo
Common Form: Large, round squash with smooth, ribbed orange skin
TCM Five Flavors: Sweet
TCM Energetics: Warming
Meridian Affiliation: Spleen, Stomach, Large Intestines
Nutritional Information: 4% carbohydrate, 1% fiber, contains vitamins A, B6, C, E, riboflavin, potassium, nacin, iron, magnesium, phosphorus
- Replenishes Qi
- Resolves toxins and expels worms
- Disperses Cold
- Clears damp
- Improves circulation
- Clears phlegm
- Clears intestinal worms and dysentery
- Can help with eczema
- Serving size: 1 cup cooked
- Bake drizzled with olive oil and spices
- Steam and cut into cubes, then use in salads or stir fries.
- Cut into cubes and add to soups, stews, or congee.
- Purée and add to baked goods.
- Cut into cubes and juice with skin on. Add ginger, clove, or cinnamon for a warming cider.
Five Seasons TCM Recipes:
Notes and Safety:
- Generally safe for consumption in moderation. It is highly nutritious and has a very long history of culinary and medicinal use.